Saturday, September 25, 2010

Where did you buy that?

Imagine with me for a moment....
A friend comes over around Christmas, or your birthday, and hands you a nicely wrapped gift.  You open it and are delighted with some item that suits you so well, you're sure this friend must have been reading your mind.  "Where did you buy that? I've been looking for something just like this for ages!" you ask, and your friend says " I picked it up a garage sale because I saw it and immediately thought of you!"  Does your esteem of the gift, or the friend suddenly change?  How about " I saw it at Value Village?", or "I've had it for ages, but it just doesn't suit me and I knew you would love it!".  Why?

If it's in our power to give an item that is in good condition, from our own home, or any other "thrifty" location, isn't it still just as thoughtful and meaningful?  And why are we just as often embarrased to admit where we purchased the item?  Haven't we still thought of the recipient, considered what would please them and made a generous gift?

As the holidays approach, and I start planning for those on my gift list, I have been pondering this question.  Just so you know, I'm personally ok with all the things from the poll.  Recently, a friend told me that their family draws names among all the cousins, and the gift has to be something from your own home, you are not allowed to buy it.  I think that's fabulous!!  I'd love my children to generously share with their friends, toys or books that they no longer use.  Isn't that a great thing to instill in them?

2 comments:

  1. I am completely and totally okay wiht all the choices on the poll too. It is society that makes us so materialistic.

    I delight in going against the flow as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would have to really depend on the person for me to feel embarrased about where I got the item. Im totally okay with receiving a used item, specially books. However, the only issue I have with the regifting is if the gift was originally from me. To me thats like saying it wasn't appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP