Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cost Break-Down: Coffee

This one scares me a little.  Not that I buy coffee so often that the comparison to home-made will be shocking, but soon, you will know what an unnatural amount of sugar I put into my coffee :) , hee hee!

I don’t actually go out for coffee, but I was interested in just what my morning java fix really costs compared to grabbing a coffee on the go.

I buy Maxwell House coffee, and unless I really can’t help it, I wait until it goes on sale for $5.97 a can.  I measured what we normally scoop into the coffee pot, and it’s 75g of grounds ( or about 3/4 of a cup) for a full pot.  That means, I get just over 12 pots from a can.  $6/12 is $0.50 a pot. 

Then I measured my favourite mug.  It holds just under 2 cups of coffee with enough room left over for all that milk I am going to pour in there.  That’s 15 ounces, about the same as a large coffee from Timmie’s.  I would be able to fill my mug four times from the amount of brewed coffee in my pot.  So, that’s $0.12 a mug.

When I have creamer, it’s a treat, but most of the time, i use regular milk at home.  I glug in about 1/4 of a cup, which costs $0.06.

Please don’t hold it against me, but I put in two big tablespoons of sugar. What can I say? I need to be sweetened up, ha ha!  That’s about 1/8 of a cup, which costs $0.04.

Ok, here’s my grand total for this morning’s coffee : 22 CENTS! Pretty cheap in my opinion!

Since I don’t even know,  would someone please tell me: what does a large coffee sell for anyway?  Now I see why they call it a “latte factor” in your budget!  I’m sure if you grab coffees to go, it could really add up!  If you normally buy coffee, what would you save by making it at home instead?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mel.

    Tummies large coffee $1.53. So Anthony said. Lol

    Kylee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, way cheaper at home, especially when you can find creamer on sale at Shoppers quite often. I never understand when seniors especially always choose to go out for coffee... :) We'll do coffee here soon, Melissa!! :)

    ReplyDelete

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP